Friday, January 10, 2014

Caramels with a Kick


My husband loves caramels and he loves HOT, so I adapted this recipe to suit his taste :)

This year however I had some Habanero and Thai Peppers that I dried and ground. I used this instead of the Chipotle powder and it tastes good. 
Caramels with a kick :)


Chipotle Caramels

1 cup Butter
1 pound Brown Sugar
Dash of Salt
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 teaspoon Chipotle Powder (or Habanero Powder)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar, chipotle powder and salt. Stir. Pour in corn syrup and mix well.
Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat until the temperature reaches 245 degrees on a candy thermometer (firm ball stage), this will take about 12-15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into buttered 9 inch square pan.
Cool and cut. Wrap each piece in waxed paper.
Yield: about 2 1/2 pounds.

**Don't forget to adjust for altitude if needed. Subtract 2 degrees for every 1000 ft. above sea level.


7 comments:

  1. I am such a wimp when it comes to anything hot...except hot coffee. LOL My husband will love this, as he loves habaneros. Thanks for the recipe.
    Hope your weekend is relaxing.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sharon, My son would love these :0)
    Very nice here today! Hope your doing well!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon! Wow, it's like your husband and mine are twins! He loves sweet and hot too. I am like Jill...no hot for me please. But I know that this would go over great at my house. Thanks :)
    I have a new blog home now. I had to leave Blogger because of tech problems, I hope you'll visit me in my new place! It's taken some time to figure out, but I'll get there.
    Blessings to you!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine! I do like caramels. Thanks so much for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill,

    Thanks so much for visiting! I used to dislike hot foods, but since getting older my tolerance has gotten higher :) These actually have a good balance of hot and sweet, just enough hot to give flavor :)

    Roxy,
    Let me know if you try making these for your son!

    Ceil,
    Thanks again for visiting :) Be daring and try them :) I look forward to catching up at your new 'home' :)

    Laura,
    Thanks so much for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, these sound very interesting and very good! My husband also loves caramel and he enjoys his hot stuff :) Will definitely have to give these a go. Hugs to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Stephanie :)

    Hmmmm, it is sounding like this is a husband thing :) Let me know if you make these :) Be blessed sweetie!

    ReplyDelete